Introducing: Steampunk Saturdays

by - 09:30

Today I have something a bit different for you.

Steampunk is something I've been interested in for a number of years and which I have dipped into on a few occasions. I listen to quite a bit of Steampunk music and I've been thinking for a while that I'd like to start to introduce more Steampunk clothing into my wardrobe. A series of discussions I've had recently has reminded me of that intention, so with that in mind I have decided to begin sharing my Steampunk wardrobe alongside my vintage clothing in a series I'll be calling "Steampunk Saturdays".


A Steampunk-style (or maybe more Dieselpunk?) outfit I wore to an event in 2012

For those of you who aren't interested in Steampunk styles, don't worry - I will not be replacing any of my usual vintage-themed content with Steampunk things so feel free to just skip these posts. Steampunk Saturdays will be additional content on top of what I usually post. Additionally, I won't be posting every Saturday - just as and when I have something to share.

As this is the first in the series, I'll start by introducing the concept of Steampunk for those who are unfamiliar with it. According to Wikipedia, Steampunk is "a subgenre of science fiction and sometimes fantasy that incorporates technology and aesthetic designs inspired by 19th-century industrial steam-powered machinery". As an aesthetic, it's a sort of Victorian-inspired or Neo Victorian look, which incorporates modern elements alongside historical ones. It can (but doesn't always) have some crossover with gothic styles. As a former goth and a current vintage gal, Steampunk appeals to me on both these levels. 


Outfit from STEMpunk 2014

The outfits above are both examples of ensembles I put together using things I already owned but I can't wait to get started on adding some more items.

I'd also like to share with you some of the music that I enjoy by various Steampunk bands. Since Steampunk is really an aesthetic rather than a sound, there is a wide variety of different styles of music which can broadly be considered Steampunk. Some common elements of Steampunk music include a historical influence and mechanical sounds.

Here's a song by my absolute favourite Steampunk band, Abney Park. They played at Whitby Goth Weekend earlier this year and I was gutted that I couldn't make it!


Here's a track by another great band called Vernian Process. Vernian Process use a lot of mechanical sounds in their music.


Next up, here's something by The Clockwork Quartet. They have another really good song called "The Doctor's Wife".


And finally (for now), a new discovery for me: Escape The Clouds.


I hope you will join me soon for some more Steampunk adventures!


Let's get social!

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. How stupendously cool!!! I flat out love it when vintage fans who also enjoy other styles share them on their blog, too.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete