Steampunk Saturdays: The Governess

by - 08:30

Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank, and of having nothing to do: once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversations in it, 'and what is the use of a book,' thought Alice 'without pictures or conversations?'


steampunk outfit

steampunk outfit

steampunk outfit

h g wells

peacock butterfly

steampunk outfit

book

Blouse - Vero Moda via Asos | Skirt - Primark 
Boots - Topshop via charity shop | Necklace - vintage fair

Welcome to my first proper Steampunk Saturdays post! This outfit is sort of "Steampunk Lite" - I'm working on upping the Steampunk content of my wardrobe but at the moment I'm having a bit of a play around with items I already own and figuring out how to put outfits together in a Steampunk style. Plus, I feel comfortable wearing this kind of thing day to day as it's more casual than a lot of Steampunk outfits. In fact, I think this outfit demonstrates the saying "it's not what you wear but how you wear it" as most of the components are in regular rotation in my usual vintage wardrobe. The blouse in particular is something I foresee getting a lot of use in Steampunk outfits.

On the day these photos were taken I was feeling particularly fed up and rubbish because of problems with my research and various stressful things happening. So by way of a bit of a distraction, I decided to put on some nicer clothes (I still try not to wear my good clothes in the lab in case they get damaged) and go out to take some photos. I found it an excellent stress-buster!

The video below has nothing much to do with the post but I enjoyed sharing some Steampunk music in my last post so here is a song by a band which I did not feature last time called The Cog Is Dead. 





Let's get social!

You May Also Like

3 comments

  1. I like this outfit - it's very classy. It has a vague vintage feel, maybe Edwardian or Victorian, without be specific or costumey. Great post for the first of the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the Victorian/Edwardian vibes come through - it's definitely what I was aiming for! Steampunk is really Victorian-inspired without being very historically accurate, and for this I wanted to play on that without it being over the top.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful images! I just love the melding of eras at work in this elegant ensemble.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete