Illustrated: The Royal Wedding In Pictures (November 1947)

by - 09:00

Illustrated Magazine Nov 1947

For my birthday last year my brother bought me an assortment of vintage magazines. Among them are a lot of different war publications but my favourite is this issue of Illustrated from November 1947, all about the royal wedding. I have a similar modern magazine from when Kate and Wills got married so it's nice to make the comparison. I've photographed some of my favourite sections of the magazine so I hope you enjoy perusing it.

Illustrated Magazine Nov 1947

One of my favourite parts of this magazine are the adverts. I really like seeing the pictures as well as how many brands are still around today.

Illustrated Magazine Nov 1947

I love this section below showing the different ways people were trying to get a glimpse of the royal couple. Some of these are very inventive! I must remember to fashion a makeshift periscope out of a shooting stick and a mirror next time I need to see over a crowd.

Illustrated Magazine Nov 1947

Illustrated Magazine Nov 1947

Illustrated Magazine Nov 1947

Illustrated Magazine Nov 1947

Illustrated Magazine Nov 1947

Look at the bridesmaids' dresses! So pretty with all that lace.

Illustrated Magazine Nov 1947

And more vintage adverts to finish off. Of all of these I'm most surprised to find an advert for Tampax appearing here. I had assumed it was a much more modern brand.

Illustrated Magazine Nov 1947

I hope you've enjoyed having a look at this magazine. At some point I may share some of the other magazines from the stash, but I haven't yet decided whether they will really appeal to my main audience here as they're not fashion or women's magazines. If you are in fact interested in seeing some of the reporting on the war then do let me know and I'll share.


Let's get social!

You May Also Like

3 comments

  1. What a treat, to see this lovely magazine - thanks for sharing it! And yes, I for one would be very interested to see the other magazines too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love looking at old magazines, but I own very few- so yes I would love to see more if you have more to share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your feedback Fran & Nicole, I'll be able to share some more of these soon!

    ReplyDelete