Outfit: Elvaston Castle

by - 09:00

autumn vintage outfit via lovebirds vintage

autumn colours via lovebirds vintage

Ok. Let's talk about this outfit for a moment, because it represents a pivotal moment in my "vintage girl" life.

Firstly, the skirt is one of my very very favourites for the winter as it ticks all the boxes. I love the neutral and kind of earthy colour palette, it makes me feel like the slouchy-sweaters-and-long-socks girls on Pinterest, if you know what I mean. It's made of a medium to heavy wool, so it's nice and warm, and the shape of it is perfectly reminiscent of the 1940s and 50s styles even though it's from around the 1970s.

In fact, this type of look is one I pull out a lot during the Autumn and Winter. I typically change out some of the components but the overall feel and silhouette of the outfit is the same.

I wore the outfit on Hallowe'en for a day out at Elvaston Castle with my parents (when I took these photos) and then dinner in the evening with my boyfriend. We didn't do anything by way of celebrating Hallowe'en, although there were some activities for families happening at Elvaston.

In the evening I was at the bar trying to order my food when a bloke stopped me to offer some probably well-meaning but fairly lechy compliments (girls, you know the type) and then asked if my outfit was a costume.

Now in fairness, it was Hallowe'en, and therefore there were all sorts of people out wearing all sorts of things. But I couldn't really think of anything that this could be a costume of. It's not even (to my mind at least) particularly OTT or costumey vintage compared to, say, a top-to-toe 1940s outfit with hat and gloves or a red polka dot swing dress and giant victory rolls. Now don't misunderstand me, I like and would wear both of those looks and I'm not at all trying to say anything negative about them - but I hope you can see what I mean.

I was actually kind of pleased in a way. I think it's the first time I've been asked if my outfit is a costume (although I've been asked about whether my outfits are for special occasions etc). Now all I need is for someone to ask if I'm in a play and to ask where I bought my wig and I'll have collected the full set. The vintage girl trifecta of awkward questions!

Anyway, if you made it all the way through that long and possibly boring story without ragequitting, thanks for sticking around!

Now onto the rest of the pictures :)

Elvaston Castle

autumn vintage outfit via lovebirds vintage

autumn vintage outfit via lovebirds vintage

purple berries via lovebirds vintage

I am super proud of this photo of the berries! I don't know what plant it is, but it's a real living thing and not plastic, despite the unusual colour.

autumn vintage outfit via lovebirds vintage

autumn vintage outfit via lovebirds vintage

Here you can see how the red/burgundy colour in the skirt matches my jumper. I actually bought the jumper to match something else (which I'll hopefully have an outfit post of when I can find the time to get one done!) but it actually goes with this skirt much better. I love it when things work out so perfectly.

Flower via lovebirds vintage

mushrooms via lovebirds vintage

autumn vintage outfit via lovebirds vintage

Wearing:
Hat, jumper and coat - Primark | Bag and skirt - vintage | Brooch - gift
Boots - Topshop via charity shop


Let's get social!
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest
Bloglovin' | Twitter

You May Also Like

6 comments

  1. Oh that skirt !
    Plus this little jumper is very xmassely cute ;)

    xx
    http://lornasharp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a classic and elegant outfit.. love it!! PS. Have you seen this? :) We're featured together! http://www.fashionfave.com/top-5-vintage-divatblogger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it! I was super pleased to be featured alongside such wonderful other bloggers.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic casual look! Great for looking sophisticated everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a wonderful casual and cozy look, but it still looks so polished and put together. That burgundy is a gorgeous color on you. :) ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I had a dollar for every I've been asked over the years during the weeks of mid-October to early November if I was wearing a costume/who I was supposed to be while out sporting my usual vintage garb, I could knock several pricey items off my fashion wish list right now, I tell you! :)

    All that to say, I get it, believe me, I get it. I always just answer in my usual way (year round, I mean), and let them know I adore vintage and dress this way all the time.

    I really like your classic ensemble here. The colour palette is sophisticated and immensely becoming on you, sweet dear.

    Have a joyful holiday season!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete