Flapper Girl

by - 08:42

Flapper girl

Dress - Collectif Clothing | Cardigan - Primark, old | Fur collar - Originally from a jacket that wore out some while back
 Shoes - Deichmann | Beads - used to belong to mum | Coat - M&S via local boutique

After I did my last shoot with Jacqui and Steve, I was feeling super inspired by 20s styles again. I'm not really as into the styles of the 1920s as I am later decades, but sometimes I can't help but be drawn in by the bobbed hair and sense of fun that comes with a flapper-inspired look. I keep getting an itch to have all my hair chopped off but it's a big commitment and I do enjoy the versatility that you get with longer hair. Nothing wrong with a faux bob though, and I will keep on looking out for some more 1920s style things for when I'm feeling more turn of the century than mid-century.
  flapper girl

Flapper girl

I doubled up on the fur for this outfit, with my fur coat which seems to have been the coat for this winter in my wardrobe, and the grey fur collar which did a good job of keeping my neck warm and looked sweet peeking out of the top of my coat while I was out and about. It originally came off a jacket - I've had a couple of items in the past with this type of removable fur collar, and I seem to remember preferring them without the fur, although I do wear the fur sometimes with other things. I see a lot of ladies wearing these at re-enactment; I guess it would make a reasonable alternative to wearing a real fur if that was the look you wanted to go for. Because it was originally buttoned onto the jacket that it came with, it has these nifty little loops which make it easy to affix to cardigans etc. I use the tiny safety pins that are used sometimes to fix tags or the little bags that spare buttons come in onto new clothing:

Fur Collar

Save those little pins, girls, they are handy for all kinds of wardrobe modifications or malfunctions. As well as using them to pin my fur collar onto other items, I also find them useful for pinning bra straps in place if they insist on slipping out, or making a quick and non-permanent alteration to a waistband that's too large (works best on lightweight fabrics, though).


flapper girl

It was really great as well to be able to actually smile on these photos. For the photoshoot, I painted on some tiny 1920s doll lips, and then didn't dare smile at all (or even hardly talk!) for the duration of the set because I was worried I might not be able to stop smiling once I got started - and smiling totally looks really silly when you have a little lipsticked flapper pout. Since this outfit wasn't for a photoshoot, I just wore my lipstick as I would normally, and apparently smiled a whole lot. It felt a bit weird to be smiling whilst wearing this look after all the definitely-not-smiling at the shoot.

flapper girl

I'll post the photos from my shoot as soon as they're all edited; I can't wait for you to see some of the hairstyles and outfits!

You May Also Like

19 comments

  1. So nice photos, and you are so beautiful flapper girl. I love this style so much and i would like to wear it more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your dress! I've yet to get a really 20s dress (I have an early 20s one that looks more 10s ish, not so flapper-y). You can totally pull it off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely want a few more 20s or 20s style things - I quite enjoy it from time to time. I'd love an original 20s piece!

      Delete
  3. You look so fabulous. I'm really in love with this dress - the shape, color, and detailing are all so lovely. I feel like this is a great way to do the flapper look while still keeping a slightly modern edge. The 20s have really been speaking to me lately, and I appreciate all the deco inspiration that's been bubbling up lately.
    Cheers,
    Zella Maybe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a lovely dress to wear for all those reasons and super duper comfortable! I love authentic 20s looks but I feel like on the whole I'm more likely to go for a slightly more modern 20s style, even though I love creating authentic looks from the 1940s and 50s.

      Delete
  4. I loove this flapper look! The subtle, non beaded styles are much lovelier and classic.

    xo
    Kristina
    TweeValleyHigh.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh amazing :) I've been into 20s looks myself lately too, I've also been thinking about cutting my hair to flapper style. Perhaps, some day :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sunshine, 20s inspired attire, a creative styling hack, and green grass - ooohh, talk a post that's bursting with loveliness! Please enjoy that wonderful weather for me as well, we've likely got at least a few more weeks of winter to trudge through on this end.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were really lucky with the weather that day! It wasn't as cold as it could have been and the sun was just lovely. Maybe a sign that Spring is coming?

      Delete
  7. what a lovely post, all the sunshine and pretty clothes. the deep red is such a good color for you. i understand the whole haircut thing, i've been wrestling with a lot of that myself, but your hairstyle is great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sara and Abigail - perhaps we should band together and all get it done! Haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this look on you! I would have never thought to pair such a modern cardigan with a style like this but it totally works!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm loving you in flapper-mode! It's such fun. I do the faux bob thing too, I like having my long hair. Love seeing that dress again, it's fab. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm really enjoying it! I must get some more 20s clothes so it's not this same dress all the time haha :)

      Delete
  11. You make such a lovely flapper!! I hope you can incorporate more 20's style clothing into your wardrobe, you look just the bees knees! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is fabulous! What a perfect dress! You look marvelous too! And, yes, those doll lips do not work for smiling, but you look great!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really think that a fur piece like that makes the look way better :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. this dress is really cute! can't wait to see your little flapper pout from the actual 20s shoot! ;)

    ReplyDelete