College Girls, 1944

by - 10:00

1940s collegiate
1940s collegiate 2
1940s collegiate 3
1940s collegiate 4

Bracelets

Coat and scarf - Primark, couple of years ago | Beret - Knit by myself | Gloves - vintage, gift
Cardigan - M&S | Skirt - vintage, via Etsy | Shirt and socks - Primark
Handbag and brooch - vintage from Lou Lou's | Shoes - Clarks


I often feel inspired by the looks worn by college students in the 1940s. It really appeals to me as a casual style of dressing which nonetheless still looks groomed and not sloppy. I often think that casual vintage looks are harder in some ways to put together than dressier looks (frock, hat, heels) but such casual looks allow me to still look very vintage or classic but avoid the elements that people often think look costumey.

Recently I've been wearing the two bracelets shown in the final picture as a bit of a nod to the stacks of ID bracelets (is that what they are?) worn in several of these photos by Nina Leen from Life Magazine, 1944. They give a few quotes from the original article and I particularly like this part:

"It is a world of sweaters and skirts and bobby sox and loafers, of hair worn long, of eye-glass rims painted red with nail polish, of high school boys no yet gone to war."
I'd like my life to look like that as well - at least as far as my wardrobe goes - even if I'm not technically a teenager any more.

You May Also Like

6 comments

  1. I love the color pallette you're working with here. Great not quite but almost spring look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree that a casual vintage look is so much harder to pin down and still look 'vintage' ~ not just mish-mashed! Sometimes my vintage casual outfits just look way to era ambiguous, which I don't like. Those photos are great for referencing though, and I think your outfit is quite spot on and looks super cute! ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind era mixing - depends what mood I'm in. I do find that the casual looks sometimes require more thought than dressier looks though!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful outfit - you wear classic camel so tremendously well.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may be almost 40, but have gotten up the nerve and am now a college student again. I've been spending a lot of time trying to put together a wardrobe that is not so fancy and 'costumy' but still adheres to my love of vintage style. The 1940's college student look has been right up my alley. I may not be your typical 40's college student, but I am a college student almost in my 40's, so I figure it's close enough. Great inspiration, it's so perfect for me right now.

    She Knits in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, congratulations and I wish you the best of luck with your new college course! I'm not a college student - I've recently finished my Masters degree - but these styles are so timeless and flattering, not to mention comfortable and easy to wear, that I'm in favour of them not being exclusive to college girls!

      Delete