Wishing Trees

by - 07:30

A while ago we had a friend of my brother's to stay for a couple of days. While he was here, we visited some local beauty spots, Dovedale and Ilam. I took a lot of photos and was really pleased with the results, so I apologise in advance for this being such a long post! However, I hope you enjoy these images of these places which I love to visit. 

dovedale via lovebirds vintage

dovedale via lovebirds vintage

Stepping stones across the river...

dovedale via lovebirds vintage

These trees with coins hammered into them appear in several places along the valley at Dovedale. They are known as "wishing trees". It's a custom in the UK which dates back to around the 1700s where a person suffering an illness would embed a coin in the tree in the belief that it would cure their illness. An alternate version of the custom states that knocking coins into the trees will bring good fortune. According to the custom, anyone who removes a coin from a wishing tree will themselves become ill.

dovedale via lovebirds vintage

dovedale via lovebirds vintage

dovedale via lovebirds vintage

dovedale via lovebirds vintage

My brother's friend Max's wonderful style...

ilam via lovebirds vintage

ilam via lovebirds vintage

ilam via lovebirds vintage

ilam via lovebirds vintage

ilam via lovebirds vintage

You May Also Like

11 comments

  1. What breathtakingly gorgeous places!! Oh what I'd give to visit one day. The both of you look so awesome, and cozy in your outfits.
    And I learned a new thing, thanks for telling about the wishing trees, that's so fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need to apologize for such beautiful photos - you have no idea how much I adore the beautiful English landscape in your posts :) You look gorgeous as always, and your chap has great style too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a stylish couple and what beautiful scenery! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry if I caused confusion - Max is my brother's flatmate but not my boyfriend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photographs of beautiful places.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post - I cannot wait to move to England and visit all these beautiful places! You look super cute btw - and your friend also looks very dapper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful pictures! So amazing!

    http://eveofwomanhood.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really beautiful. What an amazing landscape! I would love to wander around here, feeling like a heroine from a Bronte novel. You look lovely, and Max really has some awesome style.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning photos, and what a dapper gent Max is!!

    Absolutely adding this spot onto my wishlist.

    P x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such beautiful photos and settings - the cool, earthy, serene hues of the landscape and architecture alike are just what my cold and ear infection riddled mind needs to relax with this morning. You look seriously lovely, too, and should add, that black is gorgeous colour on you, dear gal.

    Big hugs & happy Sunday wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like taking walks with you. Always gives me a glimpse of your world and one I'm longing to visit one day. :)

    ReplyDelete