Outfit: Tartan

by - 17:50

Disclaimer: This dress was provided free of charge by Dolly and Dotty in exchange for a blog post. All opinions are my own, and you can read my full disclosure policy here.

Dolly and Dotty 1950s style outfit via www.lovebirdsvintage.co.uk

Hey everyone! Today I am pleased to finally have some new outfit photos for you after what seems like a really long break (actually only about two weeks in terms of published blog posts but I do schedule most of my posts in advance). I've had some personal issues (nothing major, but very time consuming!) which have prevented me from being able to shoot any new pictures for a while, but I do have several things coming up which I hope you will enjoy. I apologise if this post takes a really long time to load - Flikr was behaving all kinds of weird when I was trying to upload the photos so I have had to add the pictures directly to Blogger, Hopefully it will be back to normal next time!

Dolly and Dotty 1950s style outfit via www.lovebirdsvintage.co.uk

I had a lot of fun shooting these particular pictures, which feature a beautiful new dress from Dolly and Dotty. Here I have layered the dress over a turtle neck jumper, to make the dress a little warmer for the Autumn weather as well as for variety as it gives the dress a different look to wearing it with a cardigan over the top. Of course, when the Winter arrives, I'll be able to put the jumper underneath and a cardigan on top as well if I want to. For outerwear today I've chosen my current favourite jacket, which you may have seen me mention if you follow me elsewhere, particularly Instagram. I finally got some photos of the jacket that properly do it justice, so it was great to get that ticked off the list. I really love it because of the nipped in waist and tweed-y fabric. It's not true vintage, but it definitely has the right look.

Dolly and Dotty 1950s style outfit via www.lovebirdsvintage.co.uk

Although this dress is available in lots of different patterns, I ended up getting this tartan or plaid version. This type of pattern is a running theme in my wardrobe - from a quick mental tally I think I have around 5 dresses in this pattern plus two skirts and three blouses. I usually try not to choose too many dresses that are too similar, but I seem to be drawn to this pattern for whatever reason. I don't keep choosing the pattern deliberately but it somehow does keep making its way into my wardrobe.

Dolly and Dotty 1950s style outfit via www.lovebirdsvintage.co.uk

Dolly and Dotty 1950s style outfit via www.lovebirdsvintage.co.uk

While I don't really want to make this a review post as such, there are a couple of bits of information about the dress that I would like to pass along. Firstly the dress is lined, which is a feature that I really like and wish more companies would include. I think clothing tends to hang better in many cases if it's lined, not to mention being that little bit warmer as I'm someone who feels the cold easily. Secondly, I'd like to briefly talk about the sizing. I have another dress from Dolly and Dotty which is a size UK 8, and while it fits me pretty well and looks great on, I find that it can feel a little tight around the bust and arms if I move in certain ways. With that in mind, I decided to try a size 10 on this occasion as I do fall slightly in between the two sizes, and I'd already decided I would probably want to try this dress with a jumper underneath. It turns out the size 10 is a better fit for me in terms of freedom of movement and the ability to fit an extra layer or two underneath, but having tried both sizes I might still stick to the smaller size if it was a dress that I was planning on wearing without a jumper underneath as the dress is slightly too large when I wear it by itself. Ultimately I think I'd recommend sizing down for anyone between sizes who prefers their clothing more fitted, or sizing up for a fit that's a bit more comfortable or for dresses like this one which can be worn in more of a pinafore style with a blouse or jumper underneath.

Dolly and Dotty 1950s style outfit via www.lovebirdsvintage.co.uk

Dolly and Dotty 1950s style outfit via www.lovebirdsvintage.co.uk

I think that's about all I have to say for now. I have also included a snap from my Instagram where you can see what my hair looked like before the wind took hold of it (trials of living on the coast).

See you all soon!

Wearing:
Dress: 'Petal' dress C/O Dolly and Dotty | Jumper: Primark | Jacket - Laura Ashley via Charity Shop
Shoes - Dorothy Perkins | Stockings - What Katie Did
Bracelets and Brooch - all gifts

A photo posted by @helenmaegreen on



Let's get social!

You May Also Like

5 comments

  1. Looks lovely with the long sleeves underneath, a very practical idea! That little jacket is fab too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This whole ensemble is darling! I especially love your shoes!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They're actually beginning to wear out so I'm on a hunt for a similar pair to replace them...

      Delete
  3. Haha, neverrrrr. My jacket, my precious, etc ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the plaid ~ this is such a great dress, and yes, your jacket is too fab! A perfectly chic ensemble. ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete