Graduation 2014

by - 09:00

graduation 2014

My graduation ceremony for my Masters degree was on Wednesday. This is my second time graduating, so I at least knew what to expect this time. Last year I was really nervous but this year I thought I had it a bit better in hand - until one of my tutors commented on how nervous I'd looked just before going on stage.

graduation 2014

In contrast to last year, there was no time to mingle after the ceremony, and therefore no time to take photos once I'd returned my gown. It was freezing outside (I'm sure I looked a sight sliding around on the ice in my stilettos) but we managed to get one or two snaps afterwards when I went out for lunch with my parents.

graduation 2014

graduation 2014

It's such a shame I didn't manage to get a full-length photo of the outfit (without the gown) where I'm standing up, as this dress really deserves it. It's a slinky little late 50s number, which was given to me for my birthday by my cool auntie (we all have one, right?); it used to be a favourite of hers so I guess we're keeping it in the family. She also gave me the late 50s shoes which only just fit me, but match very well. I'm also wearing a new bolero from Collectif (seems to be sold out now, sorry!) because I wanted something to help keep the cold weather at bay.

My lipstick is American Beauty by Bésame which I really love, and my jewellery is marcasite. The necklace and earrings were a graduation present from my parents which my mum chose partially because she loves her own marcasite jewellery, and partially for its vintage credentials (although this jewellery is new, not vintage). The bracelet is borrowed from my mum, who coincidentally also chose to wear marcasite jewellery with her outfit as she has more than one set.

As for what's next - who knows, but I'm aiming high!


You May Also Like

18 comments

  1. Way to go, sweet Helen! What an amazing, truly admirable accomplishment! I'm thrilled for, and totally proud of you, my lovely friend!

    Here's to everything amazing that the next chapter of your life holds in store for you!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm thrilled all the hard work finally paid off.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations!! May the world open up to endless possibilities! and you looked stunning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Great job, Helen!!! A master's degree is a LOT of hard work! Not to mention, your outfit IS fantastic. I like the blend of classy professional and sparkly whimsy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was *such* hard work but really enjoyable as well!

      Delete
  4. congratulations!!!!! may all your future dreams come true...

    great choice of a song!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! A master's degree - that's amazing. I'm sure you've got a bright future ahead of you.
    You look really lovely, that lipstick is smashing on you. And it's awesome that your cool aunt also has cool clothes that happen to fit you. I'd be raiding her closet nonstop.
    <3<3
    Jessica, Zella Maybe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really great that we share a similar taste in clothes, obviously I take after her haha :)

      Delete
  6. Congratulation! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! And you look beautiful!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning outfit. Congratulations.X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations and fantastic work! Absolutely lovely pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats, you look absolutely stunning! Cheering you on in all your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you everyone for your lovely congratulations messages! I'm so pleased to have finished the course and am looking forward to the next thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations, such a great achievement. Your auntie's dress is marvellous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your wonderful achievement! You look beautiful. Cheers to a big bright future for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats girl ! and yes we all have one cool auntie, i definitely know of whom you're speaking about there ! haha
    xx

    http://lornasharp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete