Plum Jam

by - 12:48

plums via lovebirds vintage


A couple of days after making elderberry jelly, my mum was gifted a huge bag of home grown plums. So what else was I to do but to make jam from them? This recipe is similar to the elderberry jelly recipe, but I managed to make 5 jars of jam, plus then mum and I had to decant some into various glasses and bowls because we ran out of jars. It makes a whole heck of a lot of jam. We have enough plums left to make chutney tomorrow and probably a crumble or two as well. Here is where I found the original recipe.

1.5kg fresh plums, firm and slightly under-ripe
1.5kg granulated sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
30g butter
100ml cold water

1. Wash plums and remove stalks. Remove plum stones and place plums in a large pan along with the lemon juice and water. 

plum jam via lovebirds vintage


Bring to the boil, stirring frequently. The particular variety of plums I was using stained my fingers a pretty gnarly shade of orange, so be aware of that. At this point you may or may not wish to sample a plum, just to make sure they are tippy-top. 

plum via lovebirds vintage

Yum.

2. Reduce heat and simmer for around 40 mins, until plums are soft.

3. Keep on a low heat and add the sugar. Stir continuously until sugar is fully dissolved.

4. Stir in the butter to reduce frothing. Turn up the heat and stir continuously until the mixture reaches a rapid boil.

5. Continue heating until jam reaches setting point. If you have a sugar thermometer, this is 106 degrees. If you don't have a thermometer, test it using the plate method described here

6. When the jam is ready, remove it from the stove and pour it straight into sterilised jars. Make sure you have enough jars ready so that you don't have to improvise like I did...

plum jam via lovebirds vintage


You May Also Like

10 comments

  1. MMmmmmm, this looks so yummy! We buy a spiced plum jam every fall from a lady at the farmer's market and it is one of my very favorites!
    -Jamie
    ChatterBlossom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's soo so so good, the recipe is really simple to make and the result is so much better than shop bought jam. I haven't tried making a spiced one yet but that's a great idea for another time, I'd love to give it a go.

      Delete
  2. Wow! This is wonderful! You will have enough homemade plum jam for all breakfasts of the next winter... Great idea! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, unless my dad eats it all! He eats it like it's going out of fashion haha x

      Delete
  3. That plum looks so wonderfully ripe and juicy - much more like the ones I remember from my youth (and I'm not all that old!) than what you typically find in the grocery stores today. That said, if you can get local ones here at the farmer's market or roadside fruit stands, they're often quite lovely and bursting with delicate flavour.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are beautiful plums, really fresh and so tasty.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It's seriously so good! I don't really eat shop bought jam except sometimes in puddings or on scones but I will eat this jam on my toast in the mornings and enjoy it :)

      Delete
  5. This is one of the activities that make a special bond between women. My mom & I make jam every year, and we change a kitchen into a "preserving heaven" during that period of year..
    This is how we do it:
    http://ruzicastapinkidusica.blogspot.com/2013/08/summertine-glory-part-10-end-it-with-jam.html
    (take a look)

    Hugs.
    Marija

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the link Marija, I'll see about giving those recipes a try and I'll let you know if I do! We certainly have "the bug" for making jam now in my house, it's so much fun.

      Delete